Application to Exhibit
Application for the Virtual Burnett Gallery Season Beginning June 2024
Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m., Monday, March 1, 2024
The Burnett Gallery in the Jones Library is pleased to invite applications for its ongoing virtual monthly in-person exhibitions during the upcoming season, June 2024 through May 2025. Since the founding of the Jones Library in 1921, the Burnett Gallery has offered area artists and craftspeople a public space in which to exhibit their work. The Jones Library will be closed this spring while the building is being expanded and renovated. Virtual exhibits will continue until the building reopens and in-person art exhibitions fill the walls of a brand-new, well-lit, and more accessible Burnett Gallery.
Collectively, the exhibits aim to reflect a variety of media, styles, cultural viewpoints, and levels of artistic expression. Such shows have been part of the library's programs to encourage appreciation and understanding of art. Individuals or groups in Amherst and surrounding towns are encouraged to submit applications. Submission of artwork in any two or three-dimensional medium is welcome.
How Exhibits are Selected
The Burnett Gallery Committee, composed of local artists and art supporters, reviews applications annually. The next deadline for submission is listed at the top of this page. The Committee may choose to exhibit one or more artists jointly in order to accommodate a larger number of qualified people. For joint exhibitions, the Committee will make every effort to choose applicants who are artistically compatible.
How To Apply
The online application will be available soon.
If you are a single applicant, you may submit up to 6 images; if you are a group of 2 or more applicants, a total of 12 images may be submitted. Images must be in jpeg format and 1920 pixels on the long side. If you experience difficulty in meeting the image specifications, please contact the Reference Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-259-3096 for assistance.
You will be asked to submit a brief artist’s statement, up to 250 characters.
Finally, you must sign a copy of the Terms of Exhibiting (PDF).
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Terms of Exhibiting
- Artists will be notified of the jury's decision by April 1, 2024.
- Each monthly virtual exhibit includes up to 12 images. If you apply as a group, or if you are selected to exhibit with another artist as explained above, the 12 images will be shared among the exhibitors.
- If you are selected for a show, you will be sent detailed instructions regarding the size and type of images, how to name them, etc.
- The Burnett Committee reserves the right to use any of the images in a show for promotional purposes. Past shows are maintained in an online archive for the public to continue to enjoy.
- You may include a link to a personal site for the purchase of your art.
- A commission of 15% is charged on the sale of works exhibited in the virtual gallery, which is used to cover the operating expenses of the Gallery.
Questions can be sent to email@example.com. Please do not contact Jones Library office staff. They cannot answer questions about the gallery.
Thank you so much for your interest in exhibiting at the Burnett Gallery.