In 1869, a small group of North Amherst residents organized the North Amherst Library Association in order to create a private library, originally housed in the Post Office building. Members of this Association were responsible for book and programming expenses.
In 1873, as an experiment, the Association voted to make its library free to all community members for one year. The North Amherst Library officially became a free public Library in 1876 when it received its charter. The North Amherst Library building, “a neat and ornamental structure” owned by the Town, was dedicated in 1893 and became a branch of the Jones Library in 1925.