Searching & Placing Holds
SearchingYou can search for books, DVDs, and many other items in our collections using the CW MARS catalog. CW MARS is a consortium of over 140 libraries in central and western Massachusetts who share a catalog and share their collections with one another. Using the catalog, you can limit your search to a single library, a town, or the whole consortium ("All CW MARS Libraries"). Once you've found the item you want, you can request to have it sent to your home library for pick-up. In the language of our catalog, this is called "placing a hold" (see below for details).
If you can't find an item in our collections, see our tips for Searching Far and Wide.
NOTE: Most—but not all—of our digital collections are included in the CW MARS catalog. See a complete list of our Digital Books & Media.
Help with Searching
- Find instructions and tips for searching at CW MARS Help
- Call our Reference Desk at 413-259-3096 and we'll search for you!
Placing HoldsYou must have an active library card from the Jones Library or another CW MARS library (with fines under $10) to place a hold.
Help with Placing Holds
- Find instructions for placing holds at CW MARS Help
- Call our Reference Desk at 413-259-3096 and we'll place a hold for you!
- If there's an item on our shelves, you are welcome to call our Reference Desk at 413-259-3096 and we can put the item on hold for you at our Circulation Desk.
You can have up to 20 active holds.
How will I know when my item is ready for pickup?
We'll notify you by email, phone, or text message when your item is ready.
How long will the library hold my item for pickup?
We'll hold your item at our Circulation Desk for one week.
What if I can't pick up my item within one week?
That's OK! Please call our Circulation Desk at 413-259-3092 and we can give you more time.
Updated July 8, 2021